There are a ton of reasons why this post took so long to write.
1. Our guild stalled out on Shannox for the first 6 weeks of Firelands.
2. They gave 5 embers to a guy who then left. (Shocker, as they didn’t take my suggestions on how to pick someone to get the embers.)
3. We converted from a 25 man to a 10 man raiding group.
4. To deal with converting, we now have 2 dps teams and so dps only gets to raid half of the time. Hence, our embers are pretty evenly split between two players. (Me and another Lock.)
But finally I am able to write that my embers have been collected, and last night I walked into the Nexus to complete the quest Through a Glass Darkly.
Holy hand grenades, was I not prepared.
I can actually solo level 70 Nexus on my lock fairly easily, but this was a whole new level of difficult. I didn’t have too much trouble until I reached the final boss. Then I had the great joy of wiping for 3 hours trying to kill him.
This was both the greatest and worst quest ever.
1. I just killed a thing that was AMAZINGLY difficult.
1. That AMAZINGLY difficult was also frustrating.
(Let’s just assume from here on, the first one is a good, the second is a bad.)
2. I had to use skills I so rarely get the chance to use.
2. I had to use skills that are so rarely used… FOR A REASON.
3. I love playing affliction and dot management.
3. I could only play affliction because I had to have the fel hound out.
4. Speaking of Fel Hounds, man does that dude rock when glyphed and has mana feed.
4. Man is the Fel Hound RETARDED when it comes to staying out of the fire.
5. The Nexus was a pretty cool instance.
5. The circular platform with a flying boss makes it impossible for my pet, a good 25% of my damage, to attack said boss.
6. I understood what I needed to do, even though it was somewhat “random-ish” it wasn’t too cheap.
6. I also understood how much easier this would have been if I had been a mage.
7. I have an amazing staff!
7. That is equal item level to two other staves that are just drops off of bosses… and that didn’t cost weeks of raiding, 9k gold, or 400g worth of repair bills.
8. Now that I have the stage one staff I am the only one collecting for stage two!
8. I have to kill the same seven bosses over and over and over again for the next SEVEN WEEKS to get the next stage. Are you KIDDING ME?!?
The more I have thought about this, the angrier I am. This staff should at least be the iLvl of the staff of Rags. The quest or the extra boss or the money sink should have been spread out. Now I just have two lame collections that essentially are: farm Firelands for x amount of time. Really Blizz? You couldn’t try to be a little more original? It’s like they got to this part, went, okay, that’s an awesome first stage. Oh we’re out of time? Oh well just throw in two more collections and call it a day.
Regardless I suppose I should be happy I have the Branch of Nordrassil. I should be happy I have started my cinder collection. Really I am just annoyed at Blizzard for not thinking out the rest of the quest line and making it JUST as interesting as Through a Glass Darkly. I am annoyed that the second parts now have no variation other than farm Firelands.